Friday, May 15, 2009

It's already May 15!

Where has the month gone? It’s been a busy one for us.

Ken had his surgery last Thursday and is still in some pain but it’s getting better everyday. His procedure took all of 20 minutes and he stayed in recovery for about 10! I couldn’t believe they let patients leave in that state. They put him in the car and off we went. Then I thought “oh shit” how am I going to get him in the house.?. I kept telling him to wake up, to move, to walk. We did make it in without any accidents but it was scary there for a moment. We got home around 8:30 that morning and it wasn’t till close to 11 that he started coming to and remembering things. In and out under an hour and get paid $1,700.00, I should have went into the oral surgery field!

Since he was off the weekend following the surgery and we had no kids we thought we’d go to the beach. He was on pain meds but I could drive so we went down on Friday, spent the day on the beach Saturday and came back Sunday stopping to visit our moms on our way back. M got home from her dad’s at 4. Her and Ken grilled shrimp for me and made me a strawberry cake for Mother’s Day. All of it was yummy!

I never noticed till this year what people think of when it comes to Mother’s Day, gifts. I’ve had people ask me what I got for Mother’s Day. I told them about the dinner, cake and cards and they say “no” what did you really get, meaning a gift. I say nothing and they are shocked. Which this year is the first year I haven’t received a gift since I had M. Even last year her daddy took her shopping to get me something but I guess he figured since I’m remarried that’s not something he needs to do anymore and I guess Ken thinks since I’m not the mother of his children it’s something he doesn’t need to do. Not that I’m complaining. I was happy with what I got and didn’t think twice about it till people asked. So now I’m left wondering is that what Mother’s Day is about? A gift? I sent my mom and mother-n-law a card and took them each a hanging basket for Mother’s Day so I too participated in the gift giving of Mother’s Day and I’ll continue to do that even if I don’t get anything. It’s the thought that counts and M made me a couple cards at school and Ken gave me a card, he even bought a step-mom card for me from his kids so I was thought of and that makes me happy.

I’m having lunch with M today. I like going to her school and doing things. Both my parents worked full time and never seemed to have the time to volunteer at school so I try to do what I can cause I know she’ll remember it. They even had a little volunteer recognition program in her class week before last. The kids read about why they are thankful for volunteers and why volunteers are special. We received note cards and a certificate. They also held a reception in the school cafeteria. It was really nice and sweet.

Tonight Ken starts a motorcycle riders course that last all weekend. E has Saturday school due to way too many tardies on his mother’s part but I won’t go there. So it’s just me and the girls! We’ve got hair appointments in the morning, out to lunch then shopping. I’ve got to them swimsuits and shop for M’s birthday supplies. She’s having a few girls over for a sleepover and then I’m taking them for pedicures the next day. The cake will be adorable and I promise to try and post some pics of it and other things, soon. Maybe this weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are busy taking care of others. Remember to take care of yourself! Hope your holiday weekend is full of fun and a chance to make lots of special "family" memories. Happy Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank Pam - I hope you have a great Memorial Day as well!

    ReplyDelete